Friday, March 16, 2007

fast food and poster ideas

This probably seems like a no brainer, but I've been really thinking a lot lately about how much trash is generated from eating fast food. The other day I was eating at Subway with my daughter and even though I've eaten at Subway many times, I was disgusted by the trash. Each time a Subway sandwich is made, the worker puts on a fresh pair of gloves, each sandwich is wrapped in paper and put into a plastic bag, plus the drink containers, and so on. Not to mention all those toys that come in the kids meals that usually end up in the garbage. I ended up bringing the plastic bags home to recycle, but it makes me mad that the restaurants don't have recycling receptacles at the restaurants. (I'm not picking on just Subway; this is true for all fast food restaurants.) So for now, I have sworn off fast food. Not only does it tend to be bad for your health and your budget, but it's bad for the environment too.

On another note, I think it would be a good idea if we had some educational posters at the Bag Fest. One could be for putting some of the garbage statistics on, one could be for ideas on how to make changes in your lifestyle to help the environment, etc. I've been tossing around ideas in my head, but I would like to hear if others are interested in making posters and / or contribute ideas to making them or have suggestions for information to include. Let me know your thoughts. They don't have to be fancy. The main purpose is to present some of the information we all have been collecting and reading about so that visitors to the Bag Fest can get the main ideas of that information.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you Kim. Before bill and I went to you of the workshops we stoped at Arby's. I didn't put a plastic top on our caps b/c I saw the #6 recycle and I know that is not recycled in our area. and The staws I brought home to make staw beads for Door cartins.

I would be willing to make posters for my county. But I would need some the stats to put on the posters. Great idea Kim.

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jennifer for your willingness to help make posters. Let's hope that others will want to help too or at least offer suggestions and then go from there. Also, I was glad to see that I am not the only one bring home that fast food trash.