Wednesday, June 27, 2007

For Meghan...

Meghan's earlier comment about the tension between convenience and good intentions reminded me of Freud's Id, Ego, and Superego.

For those of you wondering what the heck I'm talking about, the Id (i.e., Devil) reflects our desire to please ourselves with immediate satisfaction (i.e., eating fast food), whereas the Superego (i.e., Angel) reflects our desire to live according to a set of morals (i.e., living a "green" lifestyle).

Freud argued that the Id and Superego are two opposing psychological forces. To mediate this conflict, Freud suggested we have an Ego (i.e., the self) to ensure that both the Id and Superego's goals are met.

Oh dear, I can't believe I just posted a blog about Freud's structural theory of psychodynamics!! Meghan, I hope this puts a little smile on your face!! I suspect Experimentaholic will not appreciate this posting!!

1 comment:

Meghan said...

Ha! My very own post. :) What a nice pick-me-up as the end of yet another long week approaches!

My Id did not get the better of me this morning, as I packed my salad before I biked to work. Now let's see how I feel after I run, bike to dance, and bike home tonight. Maybe I'll be too exhausted to do any harm!

Perhaps both the SuperEgo & exhaustion are our Green allies. Where as the Id and too much energy/idle time are our Green enemies? Of course, adding stress into the mix changes everything.