Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Jack & Willy's Compost Pocket


pocket3
Originally uploaded by mverges
It's been nine days since I've been using a compost pocket to handle pet waste. And so far, so good! There's no odor, which is a blessing to my nostrils. That's probably because the flies and other little critters are doing their "thing" inside the pocket. (How 'bout I spare you from any further details about this process? You may want to eat after reading this post, and I'd hate to be responsible for a loss of appetite.)

Making the compost pocket was easy, too. Now, Sean and I didn't exactly follow the instructions; we just played it by ear by digging a large hole. But for those of you who are good at following instructions, this is what you need to do:

1. Dig a hole 10 to 15 inches deep and less than 2 feet across.
2. Place pet waste in hole and cover with soil. To ward off pests, make sure you have at least 8 inches of soil cover.

That's pretty much it. The only additional suggestion I have is to use biodegradable doggie bags. I use ones made from cornstarch, which takes about 30 days to biodegrade. Please don't make the mistake of tossing ordinary plastic bags into the compost pocket--bugs don't eat plastic bags made from polyethylene!

No comments: