Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A Blogging Malaise

Maybe it's just "that time of the year" when everyone is swamped with work - I know that's been the case for me recently, as I've been busy advising students, attending many (e.g., Sustainability committee), many (Diversity committee), many (Recycling committee) meetings, teaching three classes, grading statistics HW assignments, writing three grant proposals and student letters of recommendation, and analyzing data in my 'free' time.

Phew...I'm going to have to stop for a moment and catch my breath. :0)

What I can say is that despite being so busy, everyday I think about the environment and try to do my part to be eco-friendly. I also like to use examples that draw upon environmental issues when I teach statistics and cognitive psychology. Just this morning I talked about using a 2-way ANOVA to determine if the rate of ferrets dying in Colorado could be due to both climate change and an increasing flea population. (Yah, it's perfectly OK if you didn't understand that last sentence!! But the story is actually legit - it was first mentioned in the NY Times last Spring.)

Anyway, there's not been much time for reflection, that's for sure. Hopefully, I'll be able to take a breather in the near future! But not right now - I have another student-advising appointment in exactly 1 minute!! :0)

1 comment:

Experimentaholic said...

Ah, ANOVA...so versatile. Can be used to analyze ferrets, to the distances between stars, to the distribution of reaction times on an IAT test. I haven't blogged in forever. I need to get back into shape and write a few. And get to the gym. It really is that time of year for those in academia - both students and their professors.