Thursday, December 13, 2007

UPS: Changing Colors From Brown to Green

I enjoy online shopping. With a click of a button, I have access to stores that aren't located in South Bend, which means I don't have to drive to Chicago to go shopping. But here's the rub: Just because I save a trip, doesn't mean that gas was saved. It still takes fuel to transport my favorite sweater from Timbuktu to my doorstep using UPS. Bah humbug!

Well, my friend Dan pointed me to a recent article published in the NY Times. It looks like UPS is changing their colors from brown to green! I was surprised to learn about their new policy to reduce carbon emissions, mileage, and gas costs for their company.

The policy? Don't make left-hand turns.

It sounds too simple, right? Yet, this minor tweak has provided UPS and the planet with great savings. By reducing the number of left-hand turns, UPS trucks have driven 28.5 million fewer miles and saved 3 million gallons of gas. Wowza!

I'm encouraged to know that businesses are adopting sustainable practices - surely, UPS is reaping economic and environmental benefits from this new policy. That's fantastic news, which is just in time for the holiday (shopping) season!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I have not witnessed this first hand, I understand that in Michigan, near Detroit, one cannot make left hand turn. From the way it was explained to me, a driver goes past his intended turn and makes a series of rights to go left. I am not sure if the same rationale is behind this practice or if it just makes for a smoother flow of traffic.

Federal Jenny said...

How Derek Zoolanderesque of them!

Michelle said...

sbcatman: And isn't there another concept known as the "Michigan U-ee"? Similar idea: Pass the intended left turn, do a roundabout, and then turn right. Interesting!

jenny: Now that's FUNNY!!

;0)
M