Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Story of Stuff


Apparently, over 3 million people have already seen Annie Leonard's The Story of Stuff on the internet. I just got the memo, but it's certainly not to0 late to watch this 20-minute film. Dr. Leonard does a brilliant job outlining the relationship among the processes of extraction, production, distribution, consumption, and disposal. She integrates social justice issues and our perceptions regarding how much value we place onto other people (basically, the more stuff you have, the more valuable you are perceived).

Ok, I don't want to give too much of the film away, so I hope you get a chance to watch this. And afterwards, go check out her blog. Dr. Leonard has additional resources and information about the work she's done for over 20 years. Amazing!

3 comments:

Nate said...

How I didn't know about this stuns me. I particularly like the approach she used to explain the current model. I wonder if she studied psychology at one point in time.

Thanks for the find!

Michelle said...

I know what you mean - she's a great speaker!

:0)
M

INFUSEDgoods said...

that was well done, I like that she put the focus on us as consumers and thinking we need more stuff

very interesting